Friday, May 23, 2014

Eco prints and Lagen look

The past two weeks I have spent some time eco printing on cotton and linen.  The process is different than silk and wool.  I wanted to challenge myself because I was going to attend a a three day workshop called "Cut Up Your Closet" by Kim Sherrod aka Calamity Kim.    In the workshop we were to purchase thrift store clothing and cut them up into a dress.  Well .... if anyone knows me, I don't seem to follow directions very well.  I want to do my own thing.  I wanted to print my fabric and use my fabrics.  I did purchase a lot of thrift store garments and printed on them so I was not too far off the class plan!   Fortunately, Kim is a great mentor to spark creativity and she had no problem with me taking the workshop and doing my own thing!  Kim loved the eco prints and was awaiting the product.

I decided to make a Lagenlook top and a skirt before the class began. I was unsure that a gored skirt would fit with the loose top style, but I think it worked.  The natural prints with that styling seemed quite appropriate.  I had no pattern, but I am pretty good at drafting and fitting. After all it is Langenlook and not meant to fit but to drape.   I had a lovely assortment of fabrics in which I could chose from.  It was just a matter of putting them all together.

I liked the idea of two pieces.  They can be worn together or they can be worn as separates.  I have other eco print scarves and wraps in which to mix and match.  For the top I wanted to keep everything linen and cotton but needed to add a few more pieces to complete the design which ended up being silk.


Here are some close up shots of the patterns.  Note that I used a sleeve in a panel to hang of the back of the skirt.  The front skirt closure is the button front placket of a shirt.



I was able to print designs such as dots and lines with the plant materials and I liked that control.


Above is a close up of an eco printed lace inset that I used around the hemline.


I am very pleased with my skirt and top.  They are summer weight and will be fun to wear.


Happy Memorial Day to all.  I do have my eBooks on sale this holiday weekend through Monday.  They are $5 off for both books.  Do stop by and take a look.  https://www.kathyhaysdesigns.com

3 comments:

  1. beautiful job. i love what you did here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!!! I love the hint of lace. You created a beautiful dress. I wish I was in Florida to take a class from Kim. She has so much creative energy and great ideas. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooohhhhh, Kathy....I love this look...the prints, the style. Fantastic!!!!!

    ReplyDelete